Search Hawaii Marriage Records Online
You can search HI marriage and divorce records online using the search form above. Physical and certified copies of a marriage certificate are available from the Vital Records office.
How to Apply for Certified Copies of Vital Records
- All applications requesting certified copies of birth, death, civil union, marriage, and divorce certificates must generally be made in writing (application forms may be downloaded from this site - see below). Requests may also be placed for birth and marriage certificates on a limited basis through the Internet (www.ehawaii.gov/ohsm). Telephone, FAX, or e-mail requests are not accepted.
- The Office of Health Status Monitoring only has divorce records from July 1951 to December 2002. All other divorce records are kept in the court where the divorce took place.
- Fees for certified copies of birth, death, civil union, marriage, and divorce certificates are identical:
- $10.00 for the first copy of each certificate, and
- $4.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate ordered at the same time.
- There is an additional fee for requests made through the Internet as follows:
- $1.50 for a request of one (the first) copy of each certificate, if the requested certificate is found, or for the cost of conducting the search, if the requested certificate is not found, and
- $0.25 for each additional copy of the same certificate ordered at the same time.
- Fees may be paid by cash (except for applications made by postal mail), money order, certified check, or cashier's check - make money order and checks payable to the State Department of Health.
- PERSONAL CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Fees must be paid by a charge to a credit card for requests made through the Internet.
- All fees for certified copies are payable in advance and nonrefundable. If no record is found after a search is conducted, the fees are retained to cover the cost of the search.
- Once an order has been received and processed, a $10.00 fee will be charged for any request to make changes to the order.
Apply In Person
Walk-in service is available:
- Days - Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
- Hours - 7:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Location - Room 103 (1st floor) of the Health Department building, 1250 Punchbowl Street (corner of Beretania and Punchbowl Streets)
When applying in person, the applicant must show a valid government-issued photo ID, such as a State ID, driver's license, etc.
Certified copies are usually not issued on the day the application is made. Same-Day service may be provided upon presentation of written documentation establishing the need for urgency. Certified copies will normally be available for pick-up about 10 working days after the request is approved. The pick-up time may be extended for records that are very old, because the search to locate the record may take longer, or in the process of being filed, because the official record is still being created.
Application forms are available in the building's lobby area and should be filled in prior to coming to the counter in Room 103.
Apply by Mail
Send mail-in applications to the following address:
State Department of Health
Office of Health Status Monitoring
Issuance/Vital Statistics Section
P.O. Box 3378
Honolulu, HI 96801
When applying by mail, the applicant must include a photocopy of his/her government-issued photo ID, such as a State ID, driver's license, etc.
Obtaining Marriage Records from the Hawaii Office of Vital Statistics
Vital records (birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates) for events that occurred in Hawaii are received and preserved by the Office of Health Status Monitoring, a unit of the Department of Health (DOH). In Hawaii, access to vital records is restricted by statute (HRS §338-18).
Certified copies of these records may be issued to authorized individuals and used for such diverse purposes as school entry, passports, Social Security participation, driver's licenses, employment, sports participation, survivor's benefits, proof of property rights, and other needs.
If you want to search marriage records online to see if a marriage record exists, use the search form on the top of this page.
Ben Hill County
Jeff Davis County